Monday, January 24, 2011

Are YOU Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

The show, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader has always proven one thing to me: what you learn in 5th grade is only good for the test because even after you forget it, you will def. still succeed in life. Just like this cartoon, posted by Jeffrey Hill on The English Blog, an obvious business man (by his suit) is sitting in on an elementary school class as baffled as those celebrities on the TV show. His face shows confusion as the children around him are all coping the teacher and being very productive as I'm sure he did as a child too. It shows also, that what is taught in elementary school such as grammar and punctuation has flown out the window because of technology and computers. Spell Check, I'm marrying you. (Don't worry, we'll tell John) The persuasive message of, "Hey look! Just get through grade school and then really do something with your life" is hard to argue if you look around nowadays.  As far as the intended audience, I feel as though it is for those already past grade school as a laugh, "yes, I remember learning things like the Presidents and now I have no idea about them." I hope anyway, that the audience is NOT for grade school children to not pay attention because the information does not matter because although the cartoon is hinting that, if you do not pass the worthless grade, you will not get to be a big business man like the classmate. I like this cartoon because it makes me smile as I picture the man not only sitting in a cramped, little desk, but also using the little sinks and even littler toilets. READY, AIM, FIRE

No comments:

Post a Comment