Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Facebook is and is Not and I am Willing to Argue

The assignment was to find some articles that interested us, so I visited my friend "insidefacebook.com" and just started clicking. That will be my main source of information because there is just SO MUCH and so much variety. Anywhodeeday, a particular article was entitled "Facebook Implements Page Wall Post Comment Spam Filter" and it's about spam basically and what facebook is doing to prevent it/draw attention to it. My initial reaction was not one of complete praise, but at least Mark and the team recognize that it's going on. It's interesting because some of the things the article says facebook does to draw attention to the spam, I didn't even notice before. This is controversial because the argument could be made that the precautions are enough or are not enough or that there should be more in the form of blah blah blahdiddyblah. Questions I have would be: IS it enough? What does the shading really do for this issue? What's happening to the spammers? How do you even spam?!
     The second article I didn't even think I would go after, but it's "Heartbroker Facebook Dating App Recruits Friend Feedback." Apparently "HeartBroker" is a dating app on facebook and apparently there are many of them! My initial reaction was...this is on facebook? What am I missing, because apparently I know nothing about what's really on facebook? I found it interesting how the application takes friends judgments on the person and uses them in the matching up with other people. This is controversial because it puts a barrier between facebook being a social networking site and facebook being an EVERYTHING! There are children on facebook (whether that should be allowed or not) and what if they got on there? Questions I have are: How do you find out about this? If you do not go back to access it, does the profile delete? Is is just traits that go up or is it sexual content not appropriate for under 18? Why is it better than another dating site?
     I'm pretty interested in this now...thank you February 2011 archive!

No comments:

Post a Comment